[Uml-devel] Improved line-object handling in Umbrello

mike wakerly mike at wakerly.com
Wed Feb 12 01:19:02 UTC 2003

Hello Umbrello folk,

I've just started using Umbrello, and overall it is a very nice package for
KDE. It does just what I'm looking for (UML and State Machine diagrams), and
the interface is pretty elegant.

However, I have just one complaint, and after only a few hours of use, it is
turning in to a big one: line segments. The way in which line segments are
handled is often extremely frustrating.

A cursory look doesn't show much discussion of the way line objects are
handled whilst diagramming, and I notice that the changelog only lists
multi-segment lines as a relatively new feature.

My first problem is that the current auto-positioning algorithm for lines
(associations, dependencies, etc, state transitions, and all other line
types) is inadequate for typical diagrams. When non-line diagram objects
(such as a state box) have more than one or two anchored lines, the
autopositioning is often not what you'd like; I get criss-crossed lines all
the time that can only be corrected by jiggling one state around another,
hoping that Umbrello will recalculate the line anchors in the fashion I want.
At present I do not see how to move the line anchors, but if someone can tell
me I'd much appreciate it.

(One state I drew up had five possible outgoing states; the desired result was
a star-like layout that was very precarious to maintain in Umbrello.)

I would also like to see support for 'square-line' types. I am not sure of the
precise name, but such a line would behave differently that the current line
does. Such a line would only allow strictly horizontal and strictly vertical
segments. When you move an object horizontally that is anchored with a
square-line, the horizontal segment resizes.

In Umbrello, you can painstakingly create square connecting lines by breaking
a vanilla line into multiple segments. But as soon as an anchored object is
moved, the breakpoint in the line remains fixed whilst the closest segment is
resized to take the shortest path between the breakpoint and the object. (In
a square-line, the movement would cause the nearest horizontal and vertical
segments to be resized appropriately.

I am by no means an old hat with diagramming, but I would hope this
improvement is seen as a necessary improvement in diagramming mode. I'd like
to know if there is any work going on presently on improving the line
object..

Otherwise, thanks very much for a very promising package.

Take care,
Mike Wakerly

--
mike wakerly, usc computer engineering class of 2003
http://hoho.com/mike