[Uml-devel] change to u2 object model

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Fri Apr 25 07:27:01 UTC 2003

i've been thinking about the object model today - you know, all the code that
takes forever to compile :). it's going to have to change a bit. for one
thing, the naming of the base-most class is crappy (boo). it should be
Umbrello::Object instead of UObject. for another thing, we need to have
signals and slots at a much higher level in the inheritance hierarchy. that
means that Umbrello::Object is going to have to be derived from QObject -
which is going to be lots of fun, because of the virtual inheritance within
the hierarchy (yeah).

what else... oh. i can't remember why i was implementing all the mutators and
accessors at the most derived level. for some reason, that seems like a bit
overkill. each interface should be able to safely implement its own default
mutators and accessors. we could just overload/override them in the impl
class. oh - now i remember. i moved all those methods to the impl class
because that was the only place where the implementer inherited QObject.
hmm...

same thing with the operations. those should be implemented locally.

objections? its going to take longer to compile because of the Q_OBJECT stuff
in each class :)

andy