[Uml-devel] German translation -> to all Sauerkrauts ;-)

Jens Krüger je.krueger at web.de
Tue Nov 26 14:15:06 UTC 2002

Am Dienstag, 26. November 2002 20:41 schrieb Sebastian Stein:
> Jens Krüger <jkrueger1 at users.sourceforge.net> [021126 17:18]:
> > I translated some of the expressions with other words. Please have a look
> > at this and if you agreed with some of them use it and put it in the CVS
>
> Ok, I didn't put all translation in like but most of them. I like to give
> some arguments why I left some out:
>
> -msgstr "Geben sie den Namen der neuen AktivitÀt ein!"
> +msgstr "Geben Sie den Namen der neuen AktivitÀt ein!"

In many Applications you find "Sie" instead of "sie". I think the most of the
user consider the computer as a man and they talk to it. I think we should
use "Sie".

> A capital letter would mean to do it everywhere in the dialogs like this.
> And an app is not a letter. So I don't like the idea. What does a German
> translation style guide say?
>
> -msgstr "Vererbung"
> +msgstr "Verallgemeinerung"

In the German translation of "The Unified Modeling Language User Guide"
(TUMLUG) you find "Generalisierung" for "Generalization".

> I'm not sure about it. Ok, if you took a dictonary Verallgemeinerung would
> be correct. But within the context of UML I think Vererbung is a better
> translation. I saw this translation in the book UML kompakt. So could you
> recheck this?
>
> -msgstr "&Use Case-Diagramm"
> +msgstr "&Anwendungsfalldiagramm"

I found this also in the German translation of TUMLUG.

> I'm not sure as well. Because I think Use Case ist a know term. In some
> German UML books this term isn't translated. But I think it would be ok to
> translate it, because everything else is also translated. So I changed the
> translation.
>
> -msgstr "Branch/Merge"
> +msgstr "Verzweigung/ZusammenfÃŒhrung"
>
> I agree to translate it, but is there a good German translation for
> Fork/Join?

In the TUMLUG you may find "Aufspaltung/ZusammenfÃŒhrung".

> -msgstr "Paket"
> +msgstr "Packet"

It depends on the issue of the Duden. According to the new German spelling (I
hate it) you have to write "Packet" because it is considered as a derivation
of "packen". If you write "Paket" I agreed.

> Please look in the Duden, I'm pretty sure it is correct.
>
> Another problem is the -. I don't know the rule when I can split a word
> with the - so that it gets more readable. Could we find a common rule so
> that we can say that if the word is made by 3 other words, we enter a -?

I think we should have a look at the result. If some words to long you may
split them with a dash but normally we should use the words without them.
Otherwise you have to split all words consisting of more the one word to make
it consistent.

> Steinchen

Jens

--