[Uml-devel] umbrello.org is live (well... sort of)

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Sun Nov 24 16:07:04 UTC 2002

Hi all,
just to let you know that the domain umbrello.org is now up and more or less
working =)

I tried to configured it to do URL-hiding, but right now it seems to be doing
header-forwarding... I'll have to check what's wrong, but I think that will
have to wait untill tomorrow.

If you dont get the difference here is a brief explanation:

URL-hiding: *************
when you type umbrello.org in your browser, the request goes to the server of
my domain manager, they then send a request to uml.sourceforge.net, get the
answer and then forward it to you.

advantages: clients dont notice any difference as if the domain were really
pointing to uml.sourcefoge.net --everything works. if you type something
like umbrello.org/dir/form.php?var=value, then they forward everything so
there is no problems.

disadvantage: it is slower, since everything has to go through the servers of
my domain managers

--> This is what I tried to set up, but somehow it doesnt seem to be working.
right now it seems I'm doing header forwarding

Header forwarding: ******************
when you type umbrello.org your browser gets a redirect to uml.sourcefoge.net

advantages: faster than url-hiding

disadvantages: once you get the redirection then our name is gone from the
address bar. so you see umbrello.org in your browser only the time it takes
for the request to get to the server and the redirection to return (maybe one
or two seconds)

The third option ******************
and actually the real one would be to set the entries in the DNS record to
point to sourceforge.. this would mean to have the "real thing"

problem: I dont know if we can do this.... ie... what is the IP address of our
web server at sourceforge? and how do they differentiate between the
different projects???

unless someone does some research on the third option, I would suggest to
stick to the url-hiding.

regards

luis