[Uml-devel] umbrello.org is live (well... sort of)

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 24 17:12:02 UTC 2002

Luis, great !

Your scheme seems however to suffer another problem: links rewriting. If
you are on www.umbrello.org, it will load the welcome page fine. But it
leaves all the links in the page point to the original site, so when the
user clicks on a link, you're back on uml.sf.net :-) You would have to
to forward the request to uml.sf.net, then process all the links from
the response, replacing uml.sf.net -> wwwumbrello.org, then only sent it
back to the user. This works fine on my little personal family site, but
for higher traffic, is completely unacceptable on the server ...

I have a fourth option:

On www.umbrello.org, make a single welcome page, consisting of a
frameset with one frame filling the screen. This frame will then load
its content from the real site.

Advantages:
- almost no load on the intermediate server (just serving a simple
trivial and small file)
- you get the real thing (i.e. uml.sf.net)
- the name uml.sf.net never shows up in the location bar of the browser
- easy to setup :-)

Inconveniences:
- the address in the toolbar is always www.umbrello.org (but typical
browsers can bookmark the complete page with all the links in the
frameset, so that bookmarking a sub-page should work)
- it uses frames (this is somewhat a religious thing, some people love
them, some hate them, no middle ground)

--Pascal