[Uml-devel] German translation -> to all Sauerkrauts ;-)

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Thu Nov 21 10:31:41 UTC 2002

Heiko Nardmann <h.nardmann at secunet.de> [021121 18:03]:
> > There are a lot more UML terms hard to be translated, because in German UML
> > books' you find very often only the English term and no translation.
>
> Feature request: it would be nice if one could use the English terms although
> the default language is configured to be German.

Rejected ;-)

You have 2 possibilities:

1. Delete the German translation from your hard disk. The original en GUI
would be used instead
2. You can change the language for one app with a parameter at startup or in
the desktop file. I think a quick look at groups.google.com will help you.

I think we have to remember why apps are localized. There are many people
who don't speak English very well. They will understand the whole UML theory
much better if they get a German term for it. To use terms you have to
understand them. So if you decide to have the English terms I think it
wouldn't be much harder for you to have the whole app in English. But for
someone even don't understanding the term Collaboration it is better to have
a German translation.

I like to ask all German users to look at the translation and see if I have
used the right common terms' translations. This is important to me, so that
I can start the translation of the handbook next week with the knowledge in
mind!

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954