[Uml-devel] German translation -> to all Sauerkrauts ;-)

Sven Bergner bergner at Fh-Worms.DE
Wed Nov 20 00:52:03 UTC 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Sebastian Stein wrote:

> As you may have noticed I have done the German GUI translation. Please have
> a look into the de.po file to see how I have translated some of the UML
> terms. For example:
>
> use case -> Anwendungsfall
> operation -> Operation (besser waere doch Funktion, oder?)
> package -> Package
> stereotype -> Stereotyp
> public, private, protected -> public, private, protected
> collaboration diagram -> Zusammenarbeitsdiagramm
> state diagram -> Zustandsdiagramm
> activity diagram -> Aktivitaeten Diagramm
>
> There are a lot more UML terms hard to be translated, because in German UML
> books' you find very often only the English term and no translation.
>
> Sometimes there is something not really working. In the listview there
> are not the translated messages for Logical View and Use Case View shown. I
> don't know why, because the translated strings are in the de.po file.

Hi Sebastian,
I've looked into the uml-book from Bern Oestereich and he used the
following german terms:
use case -> Anwendungsfall
operation -> Operation (because a function has to return a value IMHO)
Package -> Paket oder Subsystem
stereotype -> Stereotyp
public, private, protected -> public, private, protected
collaboration diagram -> Kollaborationsdiagramm
state diagram -> Zustandsdiagramm
activity diagram -> Aktivitaetsdiagramm

I think we should use these Terms because there are well known to the most
developers. It's not everytime the best way to translate everything.
Only my 2 cents.

Greetings,
  Sven
!   Sven Bergner  E-Mail: bergner at linuxtaskforce.de   !
!            Registered Linux-User #65111             !