How to create a translation was: [Uml-devel] Another Beta in some days?

Sebastian Stein s5228 at informatik.htw-dresden.de
Tue Nov 19 12:05:19 UTC 2002

Jens Krüger <jkrueger1 at users.sourceforge.net> [021119 17:37]:
> What do you think about the translations of the UML elements into German,
> French, Spanish, ...?
> >From the point of a German user, it makes sense to translate it because a lot
> of German literature about UML uses the translated names of the UML elements.
>
> Is there anybody who knows how to create a new translation?

Ok, I will write some notes here how I did the first German GUI translation
for Umbrello. I cc this mail to Thomas Diehl, who is the German KDE
translation team coordinator, if I remember right. Hopefully he will correct
me if I write nonsense.

Adding a new GUI translation is very easy. You don't even have to change the
makefiles. You just take the existing uml.pot file from the po/ directory,
load it into KBabel, translate all items and save it back to the directory
as de.po, fr.po, XX.po and so on.
But ok, you may say, hey, there is no uml.pot file. You are right! To
create the file you have to run the following make rule from the Umbrello
root source dir:

make -f admin/Makefile.common package-messages

Now comes the problem and hopefully Thomas can jump in. I translated the
uml.pot file yesterday but now some i18n strings have changed and so the
de.po file isn't synchron with the uml.pot file anymore. I don't now how to
get the de.po synchron again by just translating the new items. Maybe this
is possible with the KBabel diff menu items, but I don't know.

I think we also should discuss, if we want to put the uml.pot into CVS. The
file is generated by make, so I don't think it belongs into CVS, but on the
other hand side it is a good way to see if some i18n strings have changed.

So, I hope everything is clear now ;-)

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://uml.sourceforge.net/
Bug report      : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382951
Feature request : http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=24919&atid=382954