[Uml-devel] Re: Umbrello design (was UML XML tree viewer)

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Mon Nov 11 05:49:01 UTC 2002

> In case you are interested in software patterns, I would highly
> recommend the book "Design Patterns" by the Gang of Four', namely Erich
> Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides. Maybe you have it
> in a library near you.

i own "Pattern Oriented Software Architecture" (POSA 1 and 2). i imagine 1 is
quite similar to Design Patterns, but 2 targets communication patterns. some
people here may have even heard of the software that implements them - the
Adaptive Communications Environment (ACE). good stuff ;)

> Also, I'm getting way lost in this MOF/UML/XMI stuff. I'll have to read
> some doc about this...

i don't there's any kind of "MOF in a nutshell" and the standards don't always
help shed light on the confusion.

although... maybe one way to get a better handle on the whole think - now i
just had this idea, so its what i'm doing too :) - is to download nsuml (what
argouml uses to autogenerate their implementation) and skim through it.

http://nsuml.sf.net

andy