[Uml-devel] Re: UML Modeller

Gustavo Madrigal linux_news at nextphere.com
Mon May 13 22:58:03 UTC 2002

Hi Paul!

Nice hearing from you again! :-)

Below is a list of changes, and related issues since january 2002.

1- I added an improved copy&paste functionality: supports copy&paste between
different uml instances (using QT global clipboard), it is missing the old
cut functionality. I am planning to extend it with some advaced paste options
like uml object overriding. It activated multiselection for the listview. The
AssocCopy, MesdsageCopy and CutCopPaste classes have been replaced with
CUMLDrag and CUMLClipboard.
	It supports 5 copy&paste types:
		-- multiple empty folders (selected from the listview)
		-- folders and multiple umlobjects (selected from the listview)
		-- folders, multiple umlobjects and umlviews (selected from the listview)
		-- multiple widget selection (from a diagram)
		-- multiple operation and attribute selection (from the listview)
		-- PNG clipboard support when copying for a diagram.

2- I added some reactions to focus changes between umldiagrams and listview
(for example if you have some selected widgets in a diagram and then you
click an item in the listview the widgets become unselected). It is missing
some code to ignore focus changes when selecting an option from the main menu.

3- I have replaced Association with CAssociationWidget, this new class has
initial support for non straight lines (to break a line just double click on
it and then move one of the Widgets). It has a improved click detection
routine, and I am improving the associated FloatingText repositioning
routines. CAssociationWidget now draws itself (missing special ending types,
the code is commented out). It also takes care of its own FloatingTexts
without relaying on UMLView (MultiA, MultiB and Role).

4- Added another layer of Data-GUI isolation between Widget and corresponding
UMLObjects (for example UseCase, UseCaseWidget and the new
CUseCaseWidgetData). This spliting is to improve loading and saving time when
working with documents with a lot of widgets. The *WidgetData classes have
all data about a Widget (position, usefillcolor flag, etc) so when loading
from a file it doesn't need to create a QWidget for it thus saving some setup
time, instead it creates all diagram's widgets when the diagram is selected
from the listview.

5- I eliminated WidgetAssocContainer and replaced with a simple WidgetList in
UMLView and put some of its functionality inside CAssociationWidget.

6- I am adding support for folders inside folders in the listview.

7- Jonathan Riddell modified the project to compile with KDE3 (I don't know
if we will support KDE2 again).

8- Jonathan Riddell modified the UseCase widget to display its name inside
the ellipse.

9- Someone reported a bug about umlobject's names not support russian
caracters, I think it is because the UMLObject's names are store using a char
* parameter in the QWidget constructor, it needs to be changed to an internal
QString variable.

10- I contacted Waldo Bastian about moving the project to KDE 3.1 and he said
it is OK, but some people in the list think we need to clean up the code, so
probably its better to wait for KDE 3.2.

11- Also, a few days ago some wrote a path for version 1.0.3 to add XMI
support, I haven't seen it but it is a great opportunity to interact with
dia2code, they offered support for code generation (they support C++, IDL,
PHP, Java, SQL) and also they are thinking about the other way code2xmi.

12- A friend is working in the Activity and State diagrams. He is suppose to
send me an initial patch in a few weeks.

13- Another friend is working in some automatic documentation generation
probably in docbook.

14- Some other people have metioned about SVG support, which I think is a
good idea, so I have been reading a little bit about it, and I downloaded
some SVG examples from the KDE3 SVG icons support patch.

15- Also I changed file version to 5 (to support non straight line
associations). I think we need to change to an XML file format. Also we need
to decide how are we going to provide old file version compatibility.

16- Also we need to review and improve project's architecture because
everything is very tied, that way we can have more people working without
interfering to each other. As an example I think we need to split UMLView in
a general class, and then have CUseCaseDiagram, CClassDiagram,
CDeploymentDiagram, etc.

17- Also Pascal Fleury mentioned something about refactoring ot.h to make it
easier to use, because it is a little bit slow to work with the complicated
logic derived from using the current ot.h. He was working on it but I don't
know its status.

18- Also Cesar Sanchez said something about modifying
http://uml.sorceforge.net to provide new information, and other stuff (the
original email is in the archive).

Well that is it! a few months compressed in a few lines.

So what do you think?

Let me know if you need futher explanation about the changes.

Regards,

P. Eng. Gustavo Madrigal
Technology Research Department Manager
Nextphere Corp.
	Are you ready for the Next Business Sphere?
http://www.nextphere.com
Cel: (506) 397-7640