[Uml-devel] Call attr/oper properties directly from mylistview?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Jul 29 03:31:06 UTC 2002

> You open the dialog for changing the properties of the class and you get a
> dialog with 'Ok', 'Apply', and 'Cancel' buttons. As an user you assume that
> all your changes in the dialog may not commited if you press cancel, but they
> automatically applied if you press Ok in your operation or attribute
> subdialog. Is this a good style for an user interface. I'm not happy with
> your solution. On the other hand a generation of new attributes, operations
> are also commited without any question to the user. What should we do?
> >From the point of user the cancel button should all changes roll back,
> otherwise the cancel and apply buttons makes no sense in the properties
> dialog. I think all properties dialog in the uml-program should have the same
> behaviour.

When clicking properties from an attribute or operation is seems logical
to me that you would get the properties dialogue for that attribute or
operation and not for it's class.

Your point that some changes are applied before clicking OK is something
that needs looked into.  Although the user has already clicked OK on the
new attribute dialogue it should probably still beable to be cancelled
from the class dialogue.

> Did you read the projekt handbook of kmoney2 as Thomas proposed? I read it
> and I found some interesting ideas. One of them is the splitting of even and
> odd subversion numbers to the stable and development version resp.. An other
> is to create a branch after releasing a version, so that the development is
> always on the main trunk and the current development state is HEAD. I think
> we should create a branch on the version 1.0.3 (released) if it is possible.
> Otherwise we have to wait for the next release.  We should release if we find
> the most bugs in the current state and not in a unstable state as now. We
> have to test and find the bugs and errors and fix them.

It's too late to make a 1.0.3 branch, there's been many changes since
then.  I'm also not sure that there's enough developers to warrent two
full time branches.  I'm thinking of making some 1.1 pre-releases when we
get admin privilages over the project and a 1.1 release when most of the
bugs are gone then branch to allow for new features but only change the
1.1 branch for the bugs that really need it.

However that's all open to debate.  The Linux numbering scheme may well be
more suitable.