[Uml-devel] branching

Luis De la Parra lparrab at gmx.net
Mon Jul 29 04:27:02 UTC 2002

> It's too late to make a 1.0.3 branch, there's been many changes since
> then.  I'm also not sure that there's enough developers to warrent two
> full time branches.  I'm thinking of making some 1.1 pre-releases when we
> get admin privilages over the project and a 1.1 release when most of the
> bugs are gone then branch to allow for new features but only change the
> 1.1 branch for the bugs that really need it.
>
> However that's all open to debate.  The Linux numbering scheme may well be
> more suitable.

I also think it's too late for branch on 1.0.3, so I would suggest
concentrating all devel. efforts to hunt bugs down on the current cvs code for a
while, and then maybe create a branch 1.1 (from the current cvs at that time)
where only bug fixes are allowed, and new features may be added to the main
branch. having two branches requires more admin effort, but it may be a good idea
to stabilize the 1.1 version while still allowing new features in the main
branch. the problem is that bugs should then be fixed in the two branches.

I dont really think we *need* the linux numbering scheme since the project
is not that big, but if you want to have it like that it's ok. don't see much
difference in having a 1.1 or a 1.2 number on the splash screen as long as
the code that is released as a offical version (either 1.1 or 1.2) is stable.

luis.

http://www.gmx.net