[Uml-devel] report

De-La-Parra, Luis Luis.De-La-Parra at BSHG.COM
Wed Jul 10 03:17:04 UTC 2002

HELO *

sorry but I've been having a pretty difficult week and havnt really found
much time for uml, but here goes a small report from me.

I did download the file paul put up (uml-luis.tar.bz2) and had the same
build problems as before, with the line terminator in most of the files
(which is not *too* bad, but I am really curious why this seems to be a only
me problem)

the other problem I got is, as before, with the QPtrList::operator != which
is NOT defined.
I think this is something serious, and if you guys using RH dont get it, it
means we are using different QT versions.
I'm working on a SuSE 8.0 Box, KDE 3.0 and QT hm... I guess 3.0 too, not
sure.
Please check in qlist.h if you have QPtrList::operator!= defined.

I worked around this two problems the same way as before, so it was easy to
get uml to build but the first installation didnt work
since configure defaults to /usr/local, and it created a
/usr/local/kde/(everything) and obviously KDE could not see the files. had
to start uml from the console but it did not find any of the icons, etc, so
I decided to reconfigure for /opt/kde3/ and re-install there

the program looks great, but as paul said, uml could not find the code
generation library. this is because it checks in
(KDEDIR)/share/apps/uml/codegenerators/ for the libs, and "make install"
puts them into /opt/kde3/lib/  (with the prefix I used)
I only had to copy the libcodegenerator.la file to the codegenerators dir
and restart uml and now it worked ok.
I am not good at makefiles so altough I spent a little time trying to figure
out how to fix it ,havent got it yet.

the "Add / Remove Languages" dialog is not working now. I disabled since I
moved most of its functionality to the "select languages" dialog and havent
fixed it yet.

anyways, the build system has some bugs I had not notice since I was running
uml from the build dir, no install.
for example the binary gets installed (in my machine, at least) as
"i386-linux-uml" and the Desktop file that goes in the panel points to
"uml", so you have to modify the link to be able to fire it up from KDE.
I also thought configure should check for the KDE directory and install
there if no other prefix is given. maybe Im wrong and it doesnt do that by
default but then we have to check it, or put a big fat warning for everyone
who is going to be using uml from sources
 "YOU HAVE TO SET --prefix TO WHERE YOUR KDE IS INSTALLED ON"
if you dont want to get mails complaining about "not finding uml"

I hope I can start getting things back into control soon so I can spend more
time for uml. just wanted to let you know how everything is going.

I'll send paul the uml zip with the newest code generation as soon as I have
some time to check it again and make sure it builds and installs ok.

regards,

luis.