[Uml-devel] UML Future

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 6 21:51:01 UTC 2002

Hi Paul,

I really would like it to have a KDE version. Just leaving the door open
if somebody wants to integrate it into KDevelop one day...
If you think of redesigning it, and use a cross-platform GUI/toolkit, do
you think a step further could be achieved: have a GUI part, and a
UML-core part ? So that only the GUI is platform dependent code (maybe).
The LyX project (www.lyx.org) is in the process of making this kind
split, so that they can support GTK, Qt/KDE and the original xforms. GTK
works fine for Windows, as I use Gimp on my WinME and Win2k boxes. For
more info, look at the Gimp wesite, for "Gimp on Windows".

It the license really so extensive ? The *use* of a freeware based on Qt
forces you to buy it ? I can use Kword for my commercial documents,
can't I ? (surely you moticed, I am no licence expert...)

Also, in case of using Java, you will face comments from Argo/UML
(argouml.tigris.org), which is an open-source UML editor entirely
written in Java.

Just my 2yen thoughts...
--Pascal