[Uml-devel] UML Future

Andrea Aime aaime at libero.it
Sun Jul 7 05:15:04 UTC 2002

On Sunday 07 July 2002 04:21, Paul Hensgen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been getting alot of request for the program to run under Windows.
>
> I have been thinking of this myself due to the following reasons:
>
> 1) Alot of people use Windows.
>

> 2) Isn't really a good free UML editor that runs under Windows (that I know
> of).

Look at ArgoUML (argouml.tigris.org) or better its commercial counterpart,
Poseidon, which you can use for free in the community edition both on Linux
and on Windows. It's a really good editor, but too heavyweight in my
opinion...

> 3) Have to use Windows myself.
>
> 4) Code needs a really good redesign as it was only designed for a small
> University project to start with.
>
> So I am wondering what you think the future of this program should be:
>
> 1) Keep going as it is. i.e. KDE only program.

That would be a good choiche.

> 2) Release 1.0.4. then convert to be QT only program and let anyone who
> wants to use it on Windows buy QT. (Not really worth it)

Could be worth thinking about, not for the Windows side, but for
the GNOME one... a statically linked version could be interesting
for GNOME users...

> 3) Rewrite and Redesign (really needed) using a cross platform toolkit that
> is available on all platforms (Windows/Linux). I was thinking of
> Delphi/Klyix but Java could be used.

Mmmm, better join Argo/UML project then.

Just my opinion...
Best regards
Andrea Aime