[Uml-devel] code generation

Pascal Fleury Pascal.Fleury at jp.sony.com
Tue Jul 2 02:25:28 UTC 2002

Hi Luis,

I noticed I replied off-list, did not want to. I put it in again in the
To: field, hope you don't mind :-)

Luis De la Parra wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>Maybe I'm too Java biased, but an abstract class is a class with at
>>least one pure virtual method (in C++ terminology) or at least one
>>abstract method (in Java terminology).  If all all methods are pure
>>virtual and there are no instance data members, it is an interface in
>>Java, but there is not direct (compiler enforced) equivalent of this in
>>C++.
>>

>yeah, I knew a C++ class with one pure virtual method is abstract, since you
>cannot have instances of it, but the problem is how to decide which method
>to make pure virtual?
>(that is why I propossed making all pure virtual, and if you dont want that
>can just edit the generated code).

 From your original post, I thought the concept was not clear, butr now
I see the real problem. I do not have any solution for that either.
Is there any information which enables this to be automatically done ?
So far, if the user does never tell you that a method should be
abstract, there is not way to detect this automatically. It might well
be that the user wants a default behavior of do-nothing kind, or an
abstract method.
So either we have a flag in the uml tool to indicate this (conflict with
UML?), add something in the code generation wizard to actually let the
users select the abstract method(s), or simply produce the code based on
some default setting (maybe user selectable), let the user edit it later on.

--Pascal