[Uml-devel] mailing list / design documents

rwlbuis at xs4all.nl rwlbuis at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 6 07:29:03 UTC 2002

Hi,

> Although I'm not quite understand about the underlying graphics system,
> but
> from my limited examination of Karbon (from KOffice package), looks like
> what
> you guys are looking for is a good rendering system, like in Karbon.
>
> That said, in such case, probably you can make use of VPainter (look at
> koffice/karbon/render), IIRC modelled after PostScript approach. Since
> it's
> based on libart, you'll even get anti-aliased shapes for good !

 This is correct.

> I'm CC'ing this mail to Rob, one of key Karbon developer, in a hope that
> he'll
> provide much more enlighted explanation on this stuff. I hope you don't
> mind,
> Rob. Your time now to speak up :-)

Ok, I replied below...
Cheers,

Rob.

> On Friday December 6 2002 05:14 am, Luis De la Parra Blum wrote:
>> Hi Nikolas,
>> just wanted to know if there is a KSVG mailing list somewhere, or where
>> do
>> you discuss issues about its development? (only irc?)

 There is a mailing list, but it seems broken atm. We are often in #ksvg.

>> I'm working on a very nice (IMO =) UML tool, called Umbrello, and we are
>> about to release version 1.1.  After that is done, we'll probably make
>> some
>> big design changes to the program, and I am very interested in switching
>> SVG for the graphics, mainly because it seems that that will be the
>> standard for storing diagrams in the new UML specification.

 I didnt know that! Will it add extensions of its own or pure svg?

>> I'd like to take a look at KSVG and if possible build the diagramming
>> part
>> of Umbrello around it. I also found a project called K2D which tries to
>> be
>> a SVG-editor built on top of KSVG and could be very interesting for us
>> as
>> well.

 I didnt know that! Guess I have to build some apps tonight :)

>> Actually what we need is just the SVG viewer (KSVG) with very basic
>> editing
>> capabilities, just insert elements and move them around (somthing in the
>> direction of K2B, but not as complete)

 How do you plan to make the editing look? Realtime, or notROP like
qpainter mode? KSVG doesnt currently have good editing capabilities,
mainly because the rendering code still has to be optimized for that.

>> I got CVS a couple of days ago, and altough I havn't really had time to
>> look in detail into the code,  I think it would be much easier if there
>> were some design documents (or if the sources had more comments=).  If

I guess so :) I am a bit lazy with documenting, I admit it...

>> there is a mailing list I'd like to join and start learning about KSVG
>> by
>> watching the traffic.

Well, #ksvg on irc.kde.org is a better bet currently I think.

>> pd- If you want to take a look at our project go to uml.sourceforge.net

 Will do :)
I hope to be able to judge the situation better after that...
Cheers,

Rob.