TheGamesDB.net

Robby Stephenson robby at periapsis.org
Tue Jan 7 13:28:13 GMT 2020

Hi Jared,

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:14 AM Jared <list-tellico at legroom.net> wrote:

> 1. Tellico doesn't populate Genre, Publisher, or Developer, even though
> all of that information is present with the game.  Is there any reasonably
> straightforward way to fix that, or does that require updating the core
> scraper (thegamesdbfetcher.cpp) and recompiling tellico?

My test searches successfully include Genre, Publisher, and Developer. Let
me know an example that doesn't work and I'll poke at it. Which version of
Tellico are you using? Tellico also tries to cache that data to avoid
overloading the search API too much, I can check if there might be a bug
there.

> 2. Tellico maps games to a preset and seemingly hardcoded set of platform
> names.  Ie., PlayStation 3 games show up as 'PlayStation3'.  I'd like to
> tweak those names, such as 'Sony PlayStation 3', 'Nintendo Super NES', etc.
> instead of using the built-in names, but when populating games via the
> scraper it always reverts to those original platform names.  This is
> especially odd since TheGamesDB itself uses 'Sony PlayStation 3' as the
> platform now, but adding Uncharted 2 results int he platform being named
> PlayStation3.
>
> Is there any way to map those default values to my preferred names, or
> override the defaults, anything like that?

There's no way to change it right now. But that's definitely a reasonable
request. The challenge lies in the fact that a the different game data
sources aren't all consistent themselves, so the internal heuristic forces
a normalization (which itself can be error-prone) of the platform name. You
could edit the source code, of course, but I'd have to think about a
different way of mapping the source data to the internal values.

> Thanks.  And don't mean to sound so nitpicky - trust me, really appreciate
> all you've done with Tellico.  I'm just very particular about my collection
> - would like to adapt it to my standards rather than the other way around
> if anything like that is possible.

I really appreciate the email and questions. I understand completely about
being particular about data, believe me. I'll see if I can adapt Tellico to
be better suited to what you're looking for.