[Tellico-users] Source for Really, Really Old Books

Thomas Ronayne ronayne.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:29:56 UTC 2012

This may be just a little off the wall but just asking.

Is there a source (perhaps compatible with Tellico) for old and rare
books? I'm working with a group cataloging a huge collection of old and
rare books (and all kinds of art, scientific instruments, cameras,
etching plates, you name it) from an estate donated to our local county
to be a cultural heritage institution. By old, I mean anywhere from the
1400's to the late 19th century.

One example is /Portraits: Illustrating Grangers Biographical History of
England/, published by W. Richardson, London, 1792-1798 in ten volumes
(it's stunning, by the way, one portrait per page from plates with
hand-written notes and biographies and index in a separate volume).

Another might be /New French to Portuguese Dictionary/ that was part of
George Washington's library at Mt. Vernon (scorched from a fire that
occurred there). Published around 1780.

Not a whole lot of either of those floating around, eh?

Anyway, I've been looking for some rare book reference site (might make
life a little easier) or two and haven't really come up with anything
useful; I'd appreciate any hints or suggestions.

Thanks.

--
A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.