michaelhelmling at posteo.de
Fri Dec 14 16:51:02 UTC 2012
Hi tag-interested people,
I'd like to announce "pytaglib", the new Python bindings for TagLib
I wrote the library because the two existing python bindings, TagPy and
Python-TagLib, don't seem to be actively developed and lack support for
Python 3. Additional advantages of pytaglib are:
1. Supports both Python2.x and Python3.x with the same code base (no
2. Uses the Cython compiler for easy interfacing to C++ with a clear,
3. Extremely small code footprint (only ~200 SLOC) makes it lightweight
4. Uses the PropertyMap-Interface of TagLib-1.8 for format-independent
tag access with maximum flexibility.
5. Length, bitrate, sample rate and number of channels are accessible as
To install pytaglib, you need a system running taglib-1.8 (with
development headers) and Cython compiled for your version of python.
Then pytaglib can be installed with easy_install or pip. For more
details confer the README. Users of Arch Linux can also install
python-pytaglib from the AUR. I will try to create Debian and Ubuntu
packages ASAP and enforce integration in the major distributions.
So far the packages probably has not been tested by a wide audience,
however I know a few people using it for quite some time now without
problems. If you encounter any bug or have other questions or
suggestions, please don't hesitate to use the github issue tracker for
More information about the taglib-devel