TagLib removes "VBR" Info of AAC files

Manfred Schwind lists at mani.de
Tue Nov 15 15:00:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have AAC files (.m4a) that show up with bit rate "256 kbps (VBR)" in iTunes.
If I open such a file with TagLib and then save it (even without any modification), then it shows up with bit rate "256 kbps" in iTunes.
The "VBR" info is removed. But the file still plays fine and the file size did not change, so I think this is not really breaking anything, but it is somewhat confusing.

I can reproduce it with the following short code snippet:

	TagLib::MP4::File myFile("/path/to/my/file.m4a", false);
	myFile.save();

Regards,
Mani
--