taglib-1.7: shlib minor decreased

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 06:58:50 CET 2011

2011/3/18 Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org>:
> On 03/16/2011 10:22 AM, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Thomas Klausner <tk at giga.or.at> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> When building taglib-1.7 on NetBSD-5.99.48/amd64, I found that the
>>> shared library is now "libtag.so.1.7.0".
>>> When building the previous version, 1.6.3, the shared library was
>>> "libtag.so.1.9.0".
>>>
>>> So effectively, this was a library downgrade. Could you please fix it
>>> and bump the version installed by 1.7?
>>
>> Unfortunately, the autotools and CMake build systems used different SO
>> name versioning. I'm not sure what's the best way to resolve this, but
>> I'm inclined to changing the CMake build system to follow the
>> libtool-like version numbers we used in the past.
>
> I'm guessing this was just an oversight -- CMake uses the version that
> you set in the CMakeLists.txt file. It probably just wasn't
> synched/updated against the autotools version, or vice-versa.

No, that's not the problem. CMakeLists.txt uses the main TagLib
version numbers. Automake used the standard libtool
current/revision/age versioning [1], which is separate from the
package versioning. The SOVERSION should be set to (current -
age).age.revision.

Lukas

[1] http://www.nondot.org/sabre/Mirrored/libtool-2.1a/libtool_6.html