taglib-1.7: shlib minor decreased

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Mar 18 01:20:35 CET 2011

On 03/16/2011 10:22 AM, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Thomas Klausner <tk at giga.or.at> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> When building taglib-1.7 on NetBSD-5.99.48/amd64, I found that the
>> shared library is now "libtag.so.1.7.0".
>> When building the previous version, 1.6.3, the shared library was
>> "libtag.so.1.9.0".
>>
>> So effectively, this was a library downgrade. Could you please fix it
>> and bump the version installed by 1.7?
>
> Unfortunately, the autotools and CMake build systems used different SO
> name versioning. I'm not sure what's the best way to resolve this, but
> I'm inclined to changing the CMake build system to follow the
> libtool-like version numbers we used in the past.

I'm guessing this was just an oversight -- CMake uses the version that
you set in the CMakeLists.txt file. It probably just wasn't
synched/updated against the autotools version, or vice-versa.

(An alternate solution could be to skip ahead and release 1.9, as an
equivalent to 1.7, so that you don't have to have the lib version
different from the release version.)

--Jeff