ID3v2.3.0

Jim jmartin92 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 15:22:40 CEST 2010

Thomas Salm wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am using taglib 1.6 to implement an application that tags my MP3
> files. For compatibility reasons I want to generate ID3v2.3.0 tags and
> avoid ID3v2.4.0 tags. As far as I read, taglib is able to read all kind
> of tags, but it generates ID3v2.4.0 tags only. Is that true?
>
> Is there any possibility to force taglib to generate ID3v2.3.0 tags? I
> already recognized the method TagLib::ID3v2::Header::setMajorVersion,
> but it should not be called by API users and does not work in my
> application.
> Any ideas?
>
> Greetings
> Thomas

Hi Thomas.

As far as I know, TagLib can only write ID3v2.4 tags.  There have been a couple
posts about this issue before that you should be able to find if you search the
list archives.  (Back in December 2009 someone was looking for suggestions on
writing ID3v2.3 tags and a couple people had ideas.  You might be able to
contact them to see what they ended up doing.  And back in October 2009 someone
submitted a patch for writing ID3v2.3 tags using TagLib but I think the patch
was buggy or had some issues.  However, maybe the person who wrote it has fixed
some of the problems since then.)

Jim