TagLib and MSVC++ 6.0

Joe Cosby joecosby_expat at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:46:21 CET 2008

By any chance, has anybody put together a succesful build of TagLib which would work in MSVC++ 6.0?

I searched the archives for this mailing list and it looks like the answer is basically no ... I've seen other people talking about trying it, but it looks like they ran into the same problems I'm running into and it doesn't look like they were able to solve them.

I did find one MSVC++ tree, it was here

http://www.titus-dev.com/index.php?mod=Code%20Library&parent=1&action=view_proj&id=18

But it seems to have gone away since I downloaded it last night.

It was set up for a later version of MSVC though, and the project configuration was in an XML file ending in .vcproj, which earlier versions don't know about.

I tried manually fixing the project by hand through late last night and this morning, I can actually get the example file tagreader.cpp to compile (so I am getting somewhere at least as far as getting the includes straight, I guess) but trying to build the actual library files I am still getting massive numbers of errors.

Some of them, to be honest, are just beyond me.  I am a fairly good C++ programmer but certainly not an expert ... for example, the error on this line:

static const uint size = 32;

apefooter.cpp(56) : error C2258: illegal pure syntax, must be '= 0'

To be honest, I don't even know what that means.

Because it is from an MSVC++ build, it would appear that later versions understand what he's doing here, but not the version I have.

I tried just static linking from binary .lib files, which is a pretty bad idea any way you look at it, but the best I could get was an error that the dll wasn't found, and I am trying to static link it without requiring the user to download a dll.  So I will have to be able to build it myself.  There was a binary static .lib version in the titus-dev.com tree, but MSVC++ 6.0 couldn't link to it, it said it was an unknown version.

Anyway ... I could conceivably try to work out the compile errors one by one, but unfortunately I just don't have the time right now.  So probably I am just out of luck, but I thought I would check and see if anybody has a working project out there by any weird chance.

Thanks for any help

--
Joe Cosby
http://joecosby.com/

:: Currently listening to No. 7 in A Major, 1951, by Shostakovich, from "24 Preludes and Fugues"