Ape tags, includes and portability

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 00:40:01 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 18:46, Jonas Sundström wrote:
> > well, if we'd agree to stick to cmake we'd only need
> > one makefile system because cmake can create unix
> > makefiles as well as msvc projects (all major versions).
>
> Sometimes cross-platform tools are not (yet).
>
> There is at least one platform besides unix and windows,
> where cmake does not yet work, and where taglib is
> used: BeOS.
>
> The BeOS clone project, Haiku, is closer than BeOS to
> fully posix-compatible, FWIW, which should help using
> unix-centric build tools.

A full switchover won't happen for a while anyway -- at least for the near
future, if the CMake files are added, they'll be in parallel to auto*.  (The
main logic for that being that until CMake is required for a large project,
like KDE, packagers won't want to mess with it and TagLib isn't something
large enough to get people to learn a new build system over.)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.