Writing id3v2.3 tags

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sat Sep 10 15:31:07 CEST 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 13:16, Lukas Lalinsky wrote:

> iTunes can read ID3v2.3/ID3v2.4 only in Latin-1 or UTF-16. It can't read
> ID3v2.4 tags with text values encoded using UTF-8.

Again, I don't know about version 4, but as I said in my last mail, iTunes 5
now works just fine with all of the files that I've tagged with TagLib.  I
use UTF-8 by default.

> Btw, I'm using (for my tiny tagger) modified version of TagLib that can
> write also ID3v2.3 tags. I coded it mainly for compatibility with Windows
> Media Player as it can't read 2.4 tags at all. But, I know, you're probably
> not interested in including something like that in TagLib :)

Again, this sounds like a version problem.  I tried this out a few months back
on a Windows machine and WMP worked just fine with 2.4 tags.

If you've got a real implementation of 2.3 I might be interested.  If you've
just got something that switches the version as it writes the file then, no,
I'm naturally not.  But this was covered here already...

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.