ID3 tags on WAV files?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 18:30:46 CEST 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 17:44, you wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be any other standard for how tags should be
> applied to a WAV file.  Having the ability to store tags in all
> formats is useful.  WAV is the common intermediate format when
> transcoding between formats so it is quite valuable to store tags in
> the file.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice if there was a standard metadata
format for wav files -- simply that there isn't one and TagLib isn't the
place to solve that problem.

> Another issue I encountered is that some of my FLAC files used the
> extension ".flac" while others used ".fla".  I have heard that the
> extensions .flac, .fla, and .flc are in use.  However, TagLib rejects
> the file if it doesn't have a .flac extension.

TagLib's file type resolution is very dumb (and documented as such).  The
correct way to do things is to actually do mime-type inspection, but since
most application development frameworks provide that already I didn't think
it worth duplicating such in TagLib.

Possibly on thing to shed a little light on both of these issues is that
TagLib isn't meant to be a ready-made tagger.  It's a toolkit for developing
applications that work with tags.  Both of the things above are issues that
are easily resolvable using TagLib as a toolkit, but aren'tconsidered
relevant for the library itself.

If the answer is "more lawyers" then the question shouldn't have been asked.