ID3 tags on WAV files?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Aug 22 18:55:07 CEST 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Scott Wheeler wrote:

>> Another issue I encountered is that some of my FLAC files used the
>> extension ".flac" while others used ".fla".  I have heard that the
>> extensions .flac, .fla, and .flc are in use.  However, TagLib rejects
>> the file if it doesn't have a .flac extension.
>
> TagLib's file type resolution is very dumb (and documented as such).  The
> correct way to do things is to actually do mime-type inspection, but since
> most application development frameworks provide that already I didn't think
> it worth duplicating such in TagLib.

The tag library work I did at ReQuest included automatic file type
identification/validation.  This was very easy to implement and also
very important since users often apply the wrong extension to files.

The way TagLib works now, if the file has an extension which is
slightly different than what it expects, it simply refuses to load the
file.  If the using application can not (or should not) rename the
input file, then TagLib becomes simply useless.  If the file has the
wrong extension but is one that TagLib recognizes, then TagLib is
likely to mis-behave.

Regardless, my interest in TagLib is just about over since I am only
doing the tagging operation this one time.

Bob