ID3 tags on WAV files?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Aug 22 17:44:09 CEST 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> On Sunday 21 August 2005 6:37, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> ReQuest Multimedia's ARQ box tags WAV files by placing ID3v1 tags at
>> the end of WAV files.  I used to work for ReQuest so unfortunately I
>> have some WAV files tagged that way.  Placing a tag at the end of the
>> file seems reasonable enough.
>>
>> Is it reasonable and feasable for taglib to support this tagging
>> scheme?
>
> It's quite feasible -- not particularly reasonable.
>
> In a nutshell this would be easy to implement using TagLib by just subclassing
> TagLib::File and telling it where to find the ID3v1 tag (see the findID3v1()
> function in MPEG::File).  You could probably hack something to this effect up
> with 50 lines of code or so; there's no reason this would need to be in
> TagLib itself.
>
> On the other hand it doesn't make sense to support this in TagLib directly
> since it's rather non-standard behavior.

There doesn't seem to be any other standard for how tags should be
applied to a WAV file.  Having the ability to store tags in all
formats is useful.  WAV is the common intermediate format when
transcoding between formats so it is quite valuable to store tags in
the file.

Another issue I encountered is that some of my FLAC files used the
extension ".flac" while others used ".fla".  I have heard that the
extensions .flac, .fla, and .flc are in use.  However, TagLib rejects
the file if it doesn't have a .flac extension.

Bob