welcome, upcoming plans

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Jul 29 18:21:38 CEST 2004

Ok, now that there are a handful of folks on the list, I thought I'd first say
"welcome" and rehash some of the upcoming plans that were discussed last
week.  At least as far as I see things this list will serve two purposes --
it will be used for the development of TagLib and for questions related to
development with TagLib.

Right now 1.2 was just released, with a reasonable set of new features and bug
fixes.  Just before 1.2 was released support for APE tags and MPC files was
added by Allan.  However since those haven't yet stabilized they weren't
included in the 1.2 release.

Also Martijn is currently working on support for realplay gain in a
cross-format way.

I'd like to get both of these into the 1.3 release.  The big question for a
1.3 release is the time frame -- there are some features in what will be KDE
3.3 that require current CVS (1.3) TagLib.  However to have a release that
KDE could use for 3.3.0 would mean producing TagLib 1.3 very quickly -- about
2-3 weeks.

At the moment I really don't think that's practical, but on the other hand if
we release a 1.3 after KDE 3.3.0 is out everything is in place so that future
KDE minor releases would be able to use these features (i.e. KDE 3.3.[1..n]).

Anyway -- so that's where things currently stand.