Installing rkward 0.6.5

Martin Papenberg Martin.Papenberg at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Apr 19 10:03:44 UTC 2016

hi Thomas, hi meik,

thanks for your responses! I was able to install the most recent version.

> Not really, but you have been looking in the wrong places (which has
> the useful side-effect of letting us know about outdated bit of
> documentation, of course. Thanks for that!)

I thought so, too. I wanted to write about my experience installing
rkward as a user. My intention was to install the advertised new version
of rkward. As a user, however, it is not immediately obvious how to get
this latest version when I visit the rkward homepage. The link on the
front page that leads to the installation of rkward 0.6.5 on GNU/LINUX
directs to this page: https://rkward.kde.org/Binaries_and_Build_Scripts

Here, it seems that using "deb-src for all systems" is the most common
way to install rkward because it is the first section. I am not a
pro-user, and I thought that "debian distributions" already included Ubuntu.

> this means that the entry in line 62 /etc/apt/sources.list is buggy because
> you seem to have omitted the "./" at the end.

This happened because there is some strange symbol in between the source
package link "https://files.kde.org/rkward/debian" and "./". To me, it
was not obvious that "./" must be included in the line in souces.list.

The next section is "official repositories". If I install rkward as
described here, I end up installing rkward 0.6.1, because that is the
version that Ubuntu is currently offering (remember: I got here by
clicking the link to downloading the *new* rkward version on the front
page).

> - The absolutely easiest way to install on Ubuntu is by adding one of
>   our PPAs: https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel .

This I find in the third section "Inofficial Ubuntu repositories"; as a
user I did not know that this is actually the best way to install the
most recent version on Ubuntu. I think this might be more prominent,
maybe this section could be moved above the section "official
repositories" (including some clue that following this installation
guide will actually not install the new version of rkward).

I do think that you could just write on the Linux installation page what
you wrote in your e-mail to me:
"The absolutely easiest way to install the latest stable version (0.6.5)
of rkward on Ubuntu is by adding one of our PPAs:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel ." If you don't think that is too
much of a privilege to Ubuntu as a distro ;-)

Well, as I said, this is just a description of my experience as a user.

> that is only because the git:// protocol uses a port that is blocked by the
> HHU by default (9418).

ah, I remember that you told me that already, sorry ;-)

=========

I also have a feature request for future releases :-) Yesterday I
already told meik that I found an xml file offering syntax highlighting
functionality for both R code and markdown in one Kate file, for the
rmarkdown - .rmd - format (see:
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/kate-und-kombiniertes-markdown-zum-schreiben-v/
- one guy wrote this xml file, its available with a GPL 2 license). I
think it might be a nice feature if I could open both *r-scripts* and
*rmarkdown* files in rkward (actually I am already doing this). This
could simply be implemented in "File -> open rmarkdown file" and then
rmarkdown syntax highlighting is used.

This suits your mission statement: In the first section it states:
"Practical statistics is not just about calculating, after all, but also
about documenting and ultimately publishing the results." In this case,
adding rmarkdown functionality would be very appropriate, because I
think it is widely used already and it can be used to document analysis
and write reports at the same time. See for example:
http://nicercode.github.io/guides/reports/

Best regards,

Martin

Am 19.04.2016 um 10:51 schrieb meik michalke:
> hi martin ;-)
>
> Am Dienstag, 19. April 2016, 09:41:14 schrieb Martin Papenberg:
>> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:98 (message):
>>     ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
>>     /home/martin/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
>> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>     CMakeLists.txt:10 (FIND_PACKAGE)
>>

>> -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>> See also
>> "/home/martin/Downloads/rkward-0.6.5/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
> i called "dpkg -S cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake" on my kubuntu 14.04
> machine to search for packages including this file. it returns:
>
>   kdelibs5-dev: /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
>
> in general, calling
>
>   apt-get build-dep rkward
>
> should install everything that's needed.
>
>> However, this does not work. I get this error: "Paket kdelibs5 kann
>> nicht gefunden werden." (Package kdelibs5 cannot be found.). Apparently
>> this package does not exist?
> it seems the package is called "kdelibs-bin" in *buntu systems.
>
>> So instead of trying to build rkward from source, I wanted to include
>> the repository that you name on the homepage in my sources.list to get
>> the latest version:
>> deb-src https://files.kde.org/rkward/debian
>> However, if when I did "sudo apt-get update", my system tells me that
>> this is a broken line:
>>
>> E: Missgestaltete Zeile 62 in Quellliste /etc/apt/sources.list (»dist«)
>> E: Die Liste der Quellen konnte nicht gelesen werden.
> this means that the entry in line 62 /etc/apt/sources.list is buggy because
> you seem to have omitted the "./" at the end.
>
> however, "deb-src" will not give you precompiled binaries, but source
> packages. for *buntu systems, it is highly recommended to pick one of PPA
> repositories that fits your needs:
>   https://rkward.kde.org/Binaries_and_Build_Scripts#Inofficial_Ubuntu_repositories
>
>> It seems to be rather difficult to install the latest version of rkward.
> well, it's a bit difficult to configure apt ;-)
>
>> And another point: I often tried to get the sources from your git
>> repository, but this never works: "git clone
>> git://anongit.kde.org/rkward.git"; I always get a timeout on my request.
>> Are you sure that you are listing the correct git repository on your
>> homepage?
> that is only because the git:// protocol uses a port that is blocked by the
> HHU by default (9418).
>

> viele grüße :: m.eik

M.Sc. Martin Papenberg
Abt. für Diagnostik & Differentielle Psychologie
Institut für Experimentelle Psychologie
Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
Gebäude 23.03, Ebene 00, Raum 26
Universitätsstr. 1, 40225 Düsseldorf