Installing rkward 0.6.5

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 19 09:02:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:41:14 +0200
Martin Papenberg <Martin.Papenberg at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> I am writing concerning my attempts to install the latest version of
> rkward (0.6.5) - I am currently using Xubuntu 14.04.

[...]

> So I tried to install all required dependencies that are described on
> the "Building RKWard From Source" page. On the homepage it says:
>
> "On Debian based systems (such as Ubuntu) the following will get all
> the dependencies installed (and hopefully the package names will be
> similar on other distributions):
>
> $ apt-get install kdelibs5 kdelibs5-dev libx11-dev r-base-core
> r-base-dev cmake"
>
> However, this does not work. I get this error: "Paket kdelibs5 kann
> nicht gefunden werden." (Package kdelibs5 cannot be found.).
> Apparently this package does not exist?

Indeed. Seems to have been removed one day. Just omit it, the relevant
package(s) should be pulled via kdelibs5-dev at any rate. Also
libqtwebkit-dev was still missing from the documentation.
I have updated this, now.

> So instead of trying to build rkward from source, I wanted to include
> the repository that you name on the homepage in my sources.list to
> get the latest version:
> deb-src https://files.kde.org/rkward/debian
> However, if when I did "sudo apt-get update", my system tells me that
> this is a broken line:
>
> E: Missgestaltete Zeile 62 in Quellliste /etc/apt/sources.list
> (»dist«) E: Die Liste der Quellen konnte nicht gelesen werden.

I will have to look into fixing this.

> It seems to be rather difficult to install the latest version of
> rkward.

Not really, but you have been looking in the wrong places (which has
the useful side-effect of letting us know about outdated bit of
documentation, of course. Thanks for that!)

- The absolutely easiest way to install on Ubuntu is by adding one of
  our PPAs: https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel .
- For building from source, get the git sources (see below), and type
    sudo apt-get build-dep rkward
    cd rkward
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

[...]

> And another point: I often tried to get the sources from your git
> repository, but this never works: "git clone
> git://anongit.kde.org/rkward.git"; I always get a timeout on my
> request. Are you sure that you are listing the correct git repository
> on your homepage?

Yes, and I tested just now, without problems. Either this was simply
bad luck / bad timing, or you are behind a firewall blocking git://. In
the latter case, try
  git clone http://anongit.kde.org/rkward.git
instead.