How to change RKWard's search path to R backend

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Dec 13 19:24:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 11:09:20 -0500
mark allyn <mark.allyn at verizon.net> wrote:
> I've looked all over the internet for an answer to the Subject query
> without success.  Hopefully, you experts can set me straight.
>
> I'm running ubuntu 14.04 32 bit machine with ARKward 0.6.1 version.
> When I invoke RKWard it searches and finds R version 3.0.2 installed
> at /usr/bin.  This is an old version of the backend.  I have a 3.2.2
> R version installed at /usr/local/bin.  It functions superbly in
> console mode.
>
> How can I set RKWard's search path so that it finds the version at
> /usr/local/bin?

Several parts to this answer:
1. RKWard 0.6.1 is pretty old. 0.6.3 is current, 0.6.4 to be released
soon. We provide backports for various Ubuntu series at
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel .
2. Starting with RKWard version 0.6.2, there is a command-line option
--r-executable to change the R version to be used at runtime. However,
3. RKWard _should_ be compiled against the version of R you want to be
using, and _must_ install some files into the library location of that
version of R. Neither is the case on your installation. Therefore, what
you are trying to achieve will not work, this way. You can either:
4. Compile and install RKWard from source, as I described on
rkward-devel, the other day. Be sure to specify the correct R
installation in the cmake command line, of course. If you want to keep
the version of R in /usr/local/bin/R, this is the way to go for you.
5. Alternatively, again, use one of our "CRAN version of R"-PPAs. This
will give you an RKWard compiled for a recent version of R, *with R
installed in /usr/bin/R*