[rkward-users] rkward console encoding problem on Widows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 10 16:39:49 UTC 2014

Hi Donatas,

On Monday 10 November 2014 17:41:38 you wrote:
> I do not think it ever worked for me ( I remember remotely, that last time
> I just switched to my Linux laptop and the problem was solved :) .

ok, then it probably is not anything new.

> > Sys.setlocale (LC_CTYPE="lt_LT.UTF-8")
>
> Error in base::Sys.setlocale(category, locale, ...) :
>   unused argument (LC_CTYPE = "lt_LT.UTF-8")

Ah, yes. I keep forgetting that Windows doesn't speak UTF-8. But since the
code-pages match in R and RKWard, this should not be the problem.

I now tried in Windows 7, setting Lithunian localization. I get the same code
pages from Sys.getlocale(). Interestingly, when I try to enter any special
chars, R just strips them off:

> "Stačiatikių"
[1] "Staciatikiu"

Same when entering in the data editor. They appear correctly on typing, but in
R, only a stripped version is stored. Obviously that's not so great, but it's
not the symptoms you're seeing, either. And, importantly, a plain R console
does not even allow me to enter the special chars. They get stripped to the
nearest ascii character while I'm typing.

So follow-up question: How did you get those data into R in the first place?
What does
  Encoding (DATA14$R02)
(or)
  Encoding (levels (DATA$R02))
print?

Another interesting bit is that I have absolutely no problem entering and
showing German or French special chars in RKWard (but the R console does not
allow me to enter them, either).