[rkward-users] rkward.frontend.exe stops working Windows installation

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jul 9 10:35:00 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Friday 08 July 2011, Sandy Elliott wrote:
> I have installed the bundled Windows binary
> RKWard-0.5.6_KDE-4.5.4_R-2.13.0_bundle on a Windows 7 machine but the
> interface is not working properly. Rkward opens fine, I can edit a new
> table, but I get rkward.frontend.exe stopped working error message when
> trying to save a new script. Similar messages or freezing when opening a
> previous workspace or setting the workspace. I have not installed R,
> Rkward, or KDE on this computer before. I have admin privileges. What
> should I try next?

hm, it looks like the common aspect of these freezes is that a file-selection
dialog is (about to be) shown. So probably the problem is related to that.

On startup, RKWard prompts you about disabling "native file dialogs", unless
you have already done so. Have you answered "Yes" to this question? *If* you
have not, please do so the next time you start RKWard, and try again.

So far I have only heard of problems with "native file dialogs", but perhaps
the "non-native" variant has problems on other systems. Thus, if you see this
problem after you have disabled the native file dialogs, try the following:

1) Enter
    rk.sessionInfo()
in the R Console. Find the line that reads "Local KDE directory" and open the
given folder in the Windows file browser. Exit RKWard.

2) Navigate to the sub-folder "share\config", and remove / rename "rkwardrc"
(this resets all RKWard settings).

3) Start RKWard again. Answer "No", when prompted to disable native file
dialogs. Try any of the problematic actions you listed.

Does that fix the problem for you?

Do you have any connected tape storage drives (this was know to cause problems
in KDE on Windows in the past, although, I thought those were fixed in KDE
4.5.4)? Are you aware of anything else that might be "unusual" about your
setup?

Thanks!