[rkward-users] Console printing behavior

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 8 14:12:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Monday 08 November 2010, Gilles San Martin wrote:
> There is however a behavior of the console that I really find annoying :
> when you run a block of code from a script the console displays first
> the block of code and then all the prints. Is it possible to change this
> behavior so that the prints follow immediately the code that have
> generated it (as if you had executed the code line by line - I hope this
> explanation is explicit enough...) ?

I know what you mean. You cannot currently configure RKWard to work this way.

What you can do is either press and hold Shift+F7, or copy the code and paste
it into the console. However, when you do, you will also notice the reason why
this is not the default behavior: For long statements (e.g.:
  x <- function {
    # dozens of lines inside
  }
) this is quite slow (pasting this is somewhat slow in a plain R session, too,
but not quite as pronounced).

It can think of several approaches to improve on this, but each would take
some time to implement. If you know a bit of C++, and you are willing to help,
I'll be happy to give you some details on what I have in mind (on the rkward-
devel list).

Otherwise, you could add this to our feature request tracker
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=459010&group_id=50231) to make sure
we'll remember to look into it, later. But currently other issues are higher
up on my TODO list, and so I will not promise any time frame.