[rkward-users] version for MAC OS?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Dec 9 08:06:26 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2009, at 15:20 , Agustin Lobo wrote:
> >> Creating a native version for Mac OS should not be too hard, I
> >> believe,
>
> If RKWard is truly a KDE app then to the contrary. KDE is a very heavy
> infrastructure. There seem to be some effort of porting it to Macs but
> since it's so heavy your can't easily deploy an application. But
> again, I really don't know much about RKWard -- if it can be made to
> rely only on Qt then the story is entirely different, of course.

I was talking about what needs to be done in RKWard itself. There, we have
some platform-specific code (for X11 and Windows, so far) to detect and
"swallow" the R screen graphics device windows. That's basically the one area
that needs porting. Anyway, this is getting quite technical, so if you would
like to continue, here, please take the discussion to rkward-devel, instead of
rkward-users.

RKWard does rely on KDE, and I wouldn't claim porting KDE is "not too hard",
but others have already done that (http://mac.kde.org). Can't comment on the
quality of that port, and how hard or easy it is to install.