[rkward-users] version for MAC OS?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Dec 8 21:25:44 UTC 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 15:20 , Agustin Lobo wrote:

> I understand. I can help, but I'm not qualified for being
> the person making the native version for Mac OS, unless I get
> detailed directions on what to do.
> Maybe the developers (Simon Urbanek) of R for Mac OS X (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/
> )
> would be interested?

I have no idea about RKWard but from the FAQ it says that it is a KDE
application which substantially reduces the chances of any native
ports. We are using native Cocoa for the R GUI so they have nothing in
common. (more comments below)

In general, feel free to ask on R-SIG-Mac about things related to Macs
and R.

> Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Friday 04 December 2009, Agustin Lobo wrote:
>>> Is there a version of RKward for Mac OS (i.e. Leopard)?
>>> Plans for it? While the default GUI for Mac is good, RKward is
>>> better...

AFAICS RKWard has different goals than the R for Mac GUI. I would say
that RKward is more like JGR (which is cross-platform BTW) than the
Mac GUI. Nonetheless, wishes and suggestions for improvement of the
Mac GUI are highly welcome.

>> RKWard uses some X11-specifics, so I suppose it cannot be compiled
>> natively for Mac OS. I think it should work with X11 on Mac just
>> fine, but I'm pretty ignorant about this, and I don't even know,
>> whether that would imply installing X11-versions of KDE, Qt and R
>> as well.
>> Creating a native version for Mac OS should not be too hard, I
>> believe,

If RKWard is truly a KDE app then to the contrary. KDE is a very heavy
infrastructure. There seem to be some effort of porting it to Macs but
since it's so heavy your can't easily deploy an application. But
again, I really don't know much about RKWard -- if it can be made to
rely only on Qt then the story is entirely different, of course.

Cheers,
Simon