proposal to re-work the welcome page

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 21 16:37:02 BST 2022

Am Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:30:24 +0200
schrieb meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de>:
> one thing we should change is the display of file names. currently
> long paths are shortened at the end by three dots, but that's where
> the actual file name comes. if possible, what's shortened should
> rather be the beginning of the path, and a title argument should be
> added to the <a href> tags, showing either some useful context info
> of the full path to files for better orientation.

I actually tried to get the ellipsis to the left side, but gave up
against CSS (it appears you need to set direction: rtl for this, but
that also places the list bullets on the right hand side).

Good point about the title arg. Added that.

> > I left this out for now, but I did add a placeholder for "New
> > data.frame()". I think that's still an important feature for first
> > time users.
>
> yes, that looks quite useful. maybe it should be renamed into "new
> data object" to be even less confusing?

I see your point, but "new data object" may not be ideal, yet, either.
"new table of data"? "enter new data"?

> could this actually be
> treated like a web form? if so, instead of just a link, it could be a
> submit button labeled "new data object" (or whatever) and also have a
> text input field for the object name with "my.data" as the default.
> that would make adding new data frames really quick.
>
> the "choose another file" links should also look nice as buttons.

Done that, leaving the styling details to you ;-)