proposal to re-work the welcome page

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Apr 20 21:30:24 BST 2022

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2022, 15:27:32 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> I've merged what I have so far into master, so you can have a look.

amazing! i already love this!!!

> So - what do you think? What should we add / remove / improve?

one thing we should change is the display of file names. currently long paths
are shortened at the end by three dots, but that's where the actual file name
comes. if possible, what's shortened should rather be the beginning of the
path, and a title argument should be added to the <a href> tags, showing
either some useful context info of the full path to files for better
orientation.

> > > _Possibly_ also a list of data.frames in the globalenv(), aka "My
> > > data in this workspace"?
> >
> > very useful for people working with data frames. could this probably
> > turn into an issue for largely crowded workspaces with loads of data
> > frames lying around? i for once often collect those in a list, then i
> > wouldn't see them here.
>
> I left this out for now, but I did add a placeholder for "New
> data.frame()". I think that's still an important feature for first time
> users.

yes, that looks quite useful. maybe it should be renamed into "new data
object" to be even less confusing? could this actually be treated like a web
form? if so, instead of just a link, it could be a submit button labeled "new
data object" (or whatever) and also have a text input field for the object
name with "my.data" as the default. that would make adding new data frames
really quick.

the "choose another file" links should also look nice as buttons.

i think instead of a link to the addon configuration it would be more helpful
if it opened the package installation dialog, second tab, with the checkbox
for RKWard plugins activated -- is that possible?

> > if each of the sections on this dashboard page were like a <div> with
> > an id, it should be easy to make the layout customizable, either with
> > defaults in the global configuration or on the page itself (similar
> > to the TOC in results), with show/hide buttons for each part.
>
> The sections are separate <div>s, now, and the <body> of the welcome
> page has gained an id as well, so it can be special-cased in the CSS
> file.

i really want to have a look at that :)

> I added an initial layout based on that, but I certainly wouldn't
> mind somebody improving it. (Hints to the motivated volunteer: For the
> effective HTML source of the start page, look inside your /tmp-folder,
> while viewing the page. You'll find the current version of the CSS file
> linked in there.)

great, you can update a file and reload the page to see the effect.

awesome!