proposal to re-work the welcome page

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Wed Apr 6 20:39:07 BST 2022

Hi,

Am Tue, 05 Apr 2022 20:06:03 +0200
schrieb meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de>:
> i've talked about this with some of you off this list before, here's
> a proposal for all of you to consider and give feedback:

this actually looks like something that would make me keep the welcome
page enabled in my settings! The only minor extra bit I have so far, is
that as the last item of the recent files lists, we'd add something like
"<choose another file>".

_Possibly_ also a list of data.frames in the globalenv(), aka "My data
in this workspace"?

[...]

> this would mean the page would somehow have to be generated
> dynamically at least during startup, even better at each event that
> changes the list of recently opened files.

When we have to generate those lists at least once, anyway, it will make
a lot of sense to keep them up-to-date.

> i haven't thought about implementation at all, but rather about what
> i would like to see when i open RKWard. you probably have different
> or additional ideas for this, i'm sure it's worth brainstorming a
> little here. if there are additional topice we should cover in the
> documentation, that could also be helpful.
>
> not even sure about the two column layout, although it makes better
> use of the available space.

Looks reasonable to me. BTW, implementation-wise, I'd like to keep this
just like one of the other pages, only with some extra magic tags to
create those dynamic lists, and a custom CSS file.