proposal to re-work the welcome page

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Apr 7 12:04:35 BST 2022

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 6. April 2022, 21:39:07 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> this actually looks like something that would make me keep the welcome
> page enabled in my settings!

i'm glad you like it :)

> The only minor extra bit I have so far, is that as the last item of the
> recent files lists, we'd add something like "<choose another file>".

yes, i like that!

> _Possibly_ also a list of data.frames in the globalenv(), aka "My data
> in this workspace"?

very useful for people working with data frames. could this probably turn into
an issue for largely crowded workspaces with loads of data frames lying
around? i for once often collect those in a list, then i wouldn't see them
here.

perhaps this particular feature could rather be implemented as more elaborate
filters in the workspace browser sidebar? it currently filters functions
versus non-functions. this list to chose which objects are shown could
dynamically contain all top level object classes that are currently present in
globalenv(). something like

  unique(unlist(lapply(ls(), function(x){is(get(x))})))

but more elegantly written (and still working when x is an actual object in
globalenv...). there already is a class column, this could also be used as a
source.

> Looks reasonable to me. BTW, implementation-wise, I'd like to keep this
> just like one of the other pages, only with some extra magic tags to
> create those dynamic lists, and a custom CSS file.

if each of the sections on this dashboard page were like a <div> with an id,
it should be easy to make the layout customizable, either with defaults in the
global configuration or on the page itself (similar to the TOC in results),
with show/hide buttons for each part.

can we perhaps re-use the new output page mechanism here? i.e., treat the
dashboard like a special kind of output file with a fixed location? it would
then have to be recreated on certain events, so it would have to be less
dynamic by itself, but a rather static page that gets rewritten and reloaded
from time to time, and only when it's active.