issue with completion for S4 objects

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 18 21:02:26 GMT 2019

hi,

Am Montag, 18. Februar 2019, 20:11:11 CET schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 18:04:04 +0100
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > my cursor up/down keys are "blocked" many times as soon as a functions
> > context menu shows up.
[...]
> I have experimented a bit, and I _could_ catch up/down presses and make sure
> they end up as text navigation, instead. But of course then that would
> break navigation among the completion items. (We could go with
> Alt+up/down for navigating completion items, but that does not seem
> easily discoverable).
>
> Ideas / thoughts?

in general, the completion windows shouldn't be stealing focus without
interaction. i don't mind them showing up (allthough i could live without a
popup in every occurrence of c() and list() ;)), but i'd like to somehow
indicate whether i would like to actually use them at the moment. in that
sense, alt+up/down sounds reasonable to me.

do you have come control over their appearance? like, could they be 50%
transparent unless you press alt? that could make it more obvious that alt is
like the activator key for the windows. it would also make them less a
distraction when you're writing code.

on other thing: i really love the slot() completion! the only thing is that it
lost the ability to browse objetcs recursively -- you can access one slot and
that's it. with the @-notation, if the slot was, e.g., a list, you were also
offered it's members and so on. can that be fixed?