issue with completion for S4 objects

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 19 08:46:41 GMT 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:02:26 +0100
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> in general, the completion windows shouldn't be stealing focus
> without interaction. i don't mind them showing up (allthough i could
> live without a popup in every occurrence of c() and list() ;)), but
> i'd like to somehow indicate whether i would like to actually use
> them at the moment. in that sense, alt+up/down sounds reasonable to
> me.
>
> do you have come control over their appearance? like, could they be
> 50% transparent unless you press alt? that could make it more obvious
> that alt is like the activator key for the windows. it would also
> make them less a distraction when you're writing code.

I do not have direct control over the appearance, and little over the
behavior. Some things could be hacked, but hacks will break...

So, for now, I have implemented the alt+up/down idea. I intend to make
this configurable, too, if only to give users a chance to discover the
feature ;-)

> on other thing: i really love the slot() completion! the only thing
> is that it lost the ability to browse objetcs recursively -- you can
> access one slot and that's it. with the @-notation, if the slot was,
> e.g., a list, you were also offered it's members and so on. can that
> be fixed?

I noticed that mid-way through implementing it, and it's a bit
embarrasing, indeed, but I hoped it would be a relatively rare case. In
theory this can be fixed, but it's not totally easy: We'll have to do a
little more parsing so that RKWard will understand that slot(x, y)
refers to the object's slots.

Perhaps add a ticket, for now.