first draft of an RMarkdown export plugin

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Oct 13 20:01:45 BST 2018

hi,

Am Samstag, 13. Oktober 2018, 13:48:48 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> - Unless a lot more options get added, I'd suggest to merge the two
>   tabs of the plugin.

yes, i thought about it. i mainly hid the version selection in another tab to
not confuse people with a choice they probably don't fully understand. support
for v1 is there for backwards compatibility only, it looked like "too
important" if it was on the same tab. does that make sense?

> - But perhaps you intend to add options for style and colors, for
>   instance?

adding more options would either mean tinkering with the document itself
somehow, or probably use the configuration parameter of pandoc(), i.e.
generating a temporary configuration file.

it looks to me like pandoc() was designed to force you to make stylistic
adjustments in the .Rmd file directly, rather than choosing options. [but i'm
currently totally failing when trying to make an .md file use a different
LaTeX template, but that's not an issue with our implementation...]

> - It would be cool (if possible) if the "Save as"-control was pre-filled
>   with the input filename + appropriate filename extension. That would
>   make it so much easier to use in many simple cases.

absolutely, that's on my TODO list.

the browser element currently has it's drawbacks for use as a "save file"
option. i was missing an "overwrite" checkbox for existing files, and it would
have helped to append file extensions automatically (although that can be kind
of worked around by pre-filling the field as suggested).

also, even though the element has file extensions set for the input script, it
doesn't apply them to files that were automatically added because the plugin
was launched with the file currently opened. i'm sure this can be dealt with
with JavaScript logic, but i think this actually belongs to the element
features itself -- it should be marked red when the defined file extensions
don't fit the given file, and the submit button deactivated.

> - Maybe a bit out-of-scope for the time being, but as an idea: Offer to
>   render a PDF to a temporary file and open it in okular. That would
>   essentially make it a print (preview) feature.

ah, nice idea. will try.