Option for saving workspace

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Aug 16 16:49:09 UTC 2017

hi pierre,

Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2017, 14:21:56 CEST schrieb Pierre de Villemereuil:
> >  formals(q)$save <- "no" # or "yes"
>
> Although I don't know how RKWard works internally (and wouldn't dare to try
> to understand it, my knowledge of Qt basically stops at defining a
> Qwidget...), that might not be super easy and breaks how RKWard currently
> works.

hm, it shouldn't really "break" anything, it would just make it possible to
change it's behavior.

maybe i didn't make myself clear enough: i don't propose to put that formals()
call into the default configuration. i just meant that if we fixed the
override function to respect the setting of 'save', the above line would be
*possible*. you can put it in the options already, but it will have no effect
at the moment, because RKWard silently ignores all arguments to q().

> The thing is: when you click on "Save", RKWard opens a dialog to ask *where*
> the workspace should be saved.

yes, that would still remain the default. so unless you actively change the
configuration, RKWard's default behavior wouldn't change at all. but *if* you
would like RKWard to close differently, you could do that then.

> It's quite different from q() which always save in the working directory
> AFAIK.

correct. so an open question would be where to save the default workspace in
case you've set it to 'save="yes"'. it could for instance be a file in

  ~/.local/share/rkward/

because the current working directory doesn't make much sense, as you usually
don't start RKWard from a particular/changing working directory. an
alternative could be RKWard's defined startup working directory.

> So, I'm guessing this is why RKWard needs to override how q() works.

RKWard overrides some (very few) R core functions. in this case it's likely
because it depends on a running R session in the backend, so a user shouldn't
be able so simply call q() and crash the application ;-)