Option for saving workspace

Pierre de Villemereuil pierre.de.villemereuil at mailoo.org
Wed Aug 16 18:07:24 UTC 2017

Hi!

> hm, it shouldn't really "break" anything, it would just make it possible to
> change it's behavior.
>
> maybe i didn't make myself clear enough: i don't propose to put that formals()
> call into the default configuration. i just meant that if we fixed the
> override function to respect the setting of 'save', the above line would be
> *possible*. you can put it in the options already, but it will have no effect
> at the moment, because RKWard silently ignores all arguments to q().

You obviously know this stuff better than I do. I guess it's good news my concerns where misplaced! ;)

> correct. so an open question would be where to save the default workspace in
> case you've set it to 'save="yes"'. it could for instance be a file in
>
>   ~/.local/share/rkward/

Sounds sensible!

> because the current working directory doesn't make much sense, as you usually
> don't start RKWard from a particular/changing working directory.

Well I do, because I usually start it by opening a script, but that's below the point... Especially since, in my workflow, the script is what matters and I'm not particularly attached to the workspace (quite impossible to work like that with RStudio for example...).

> RKWard overrides some (very few) R core functions. in this case it's likely
> because it depends on a running R session in the backend, so a user shouldn't
> be able so simply call q() and crash the application ;-)

I actually never tried. Just did and right now it's calling the dialog Save/Discard/Don't quit. I guess that's what you mean when you that q() is overridden.

Cheers,
Pierre