Previews - another new thread

Jan Wort d_jan at ymail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:48:16 UTC 2016

>Please test the git branch work/preview_with_menu . What I did was:
>
>- Move the previews to the left side of the dialog. Not bad, IMO,
>  although I do think it is slightly confusing, particularly when any

>  preview (code or other preview) is active by default.

It is ok but not optimal, that the preview appears at a rather different position than the control to switch it on/off: Preview left, checkbox right

> - Make plot previews docked by default. Try any plot plugin.
That's great.
>- Add a tool-button to access the menu for the preview window.
>  Obviously this still has a bunch of options that don't make much
>  sense in this context, but importantly it also makes available

>  important actions such as "Copy to output" and "Export".

Not sure, about this - let other practicioners decide. Assume it to be useful, and the menu seems to be a decent way to deliver these functions. It would need a indicator though that the user can understand (like options? actions? or just hamburger icon?)

> There is no "undock" button, yet, and the wording is unchanged. I'd
> worry about that later. Right now I need some feedback on the general

> looks of it: Is this the way to go?

Apart from the activate at different position than the function it activates, I like it much! Thanks!

jan