Previews - another new thread

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 2 18:14:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 14:48:16 +0000 (UTC)
Jan Wort <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> >Please test the git branch work/preview_with_menu . What I did was:
> >
> >- Move the previews to the left side of the dialog. Not bad, IMO,
> >  although I do think it is slightly confusing, particularly when any
>
> >  preview (code or other preview) is active by default.
>
> It is ok but not optimal, that the preview appears at a rather
> different position than the control to switch it on/off: Preview
> left, checkbox right

I see what you mean, but not sure how to fix it. Of course we could
move the preview to the right side. That would also "fix" the problem
that the preview is the first thing to look at when starting top-left.
OTOH, that would put the buttons in the middle, which also seems kind of
strange to me.

Or place the buttons at the bottom, now that the bottom area is no
longer needed for previews?

> > - Make plot previews docked by default. Try any plot plugin.
> That's great.
> >- Add a tool-button to access the menu for the preview window.
> >  Obviously this still has a bunch of options that don't make much
> >  sense in this context, but importantly it also makes available
>
> >  important actions such as "Copy to output" and "Export".
>
> Not sure, about this - let other practicioners decide. Assume it to
> be useful, and the menu seems to be a decent way to deliver these
> functions. It would need a indicator though that the user can
> understand (like options? actions? or just hamburger icon?)

The button is supposed to a hamburger icon. Is it just an empty button
for you?

> > There is no "undock" button, yet, and the wording is unchanged. I'd
> > worry about that later. Right now I need some feedback on the
> > general
>
> > looks of it: Is this the way to go?
>
> Apart from the activate at different position than the function it
> activates, I like it much! Thanks!

Thanks for the quick feedback!